31 January 2011

About the poem

I thought it would be neat to give a mini story behind each piece.  "So This is Life" was written my senior year of high school.  I was in my Lit class and we were doing various exercises, as we did every day.  That day I was in a typical high schooler "mood".  I don't remember what the exercise was, but this was the result.  I remember hating it but I read it out for the group anyway.  There was a pause and then people said "wow. That was really good".  I've had people tell me that this is what they see as sort of an iconic piece of mine.  I still have trouble seeing it as there are pieces I've written that I like MUCH better.  But an artist is never the best judge of their own work.  A lot of the thoughts and images were things I was seeing around me.  The datebook being scratched was the classmate next to me, they had these little scratches on what looked like a new datebook.  The lunchbox was what I used as a purse back then and people kept asking where my Twinkies were, I used to say it ate them.  And I have NEVER understood why manufacturers put those little holes in shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment